I have so many fond memories of Valentine’s Day. Cute cards with Batman or Hello Kitty on them, cupcakes from classmates and getting a Valentine from the cute boy I had a HUGE crush on (even though he gave one to everyone in the class). For years my single friends and I made jokes about celebrating “Singles Awareness Day” on Feb. 14th. But really… whether you spend Feb. 14th with a significant other, a good friend, your kids or even with your dog, Valentine’s Day should make you feel special because it’s a day about LOVE.
Here are some fun facts about Valentine’s Day:
- In medieval times, women used to eat unusual foods on Valentine’s Day so they might have dreams of their future husbands.
- In the middle of the 17th century, even married people would get a Valentine (and sometimes it WASN’T from their significant other).
- 3% of pet owners give their pets a Valentine’s Day present.
- Over 50 million roses are given on Valentine’s Day!
- 75% of people who buy flowers on Valentine’s Day are men.
- Richard Cadbury invented the first Valentine’s Day candy box in the late 1800s.
- Parents receive 1 out of 5 valentines.
- Long before St. Valentine lived, February 14 had strong links to fertility. It was believed to be the date birds chose their mates.
No matter how you spend Feb. 14th, remember to always think of yourself as significant and amazing. I urge you to treat yourself this Valentine’s Day. Maybe get yourself a box of yummy chocolates, take a long bath or get a much needed massage. When you love yourself first it allows you to share your best with those around you.
As for me, I will be spending my Valentine’s Day with my pups and am planning a special dinner with my husband 😉